Tom Rhodes Law Firm P.C. We Speak up for Those Who Cannot Speak for Themselves

How Much Time Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim?

After an accident, you have a limited amount of time to file a claim before you are no longer able to file. This is known as the “statute of limitations.” Texas enforces a statute of limitations on many claims, but the amount of time varies between the type of claim and if it will be tried in state or federal court. Individual factors can affect the length of the statute of limitations, including court interpretations and certain events or circumstances that can delay the start of the statute period. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you better understand the limitations regarding your case, and determine if you are eligible to file a claim.

In the state of Texas, the stature of limitations for a personal injury claim is 2 years from the date of the injury, as per Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code § 16.003(a). If you fail to file a claim within this window of time, it is possible the Texas civil court system will refuse to hear your case, and your right to compensation will be forfeited.

Because of the time limit to file a claim, it is important to contact an accomplished personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Filing a claim well before the time allowed by the statute of limitations could help you get the compensation you deserve sooner, and will prevent your case from missing the time limit. Catastrophic accidents can leave you injured and facing life-altering changes. Compensation for your medical expenses, loss of income, and other non-financial damages are crucial for your recovery and care.

If you have been severely injured in a catastrophic accident, get in touch with the Tom Rhodes Law Firm P.C. Our San Antonio personal injury attorneys know the clock is ticking on your claim, and will work to ensure your claim is heard and you have a chance to receive the compensation you deserve. Our team has been fighting for clients for over 30 years, and has the knowledge and skill to protect your rights.Contact the firm today to ask about your free consultation.